Date:      18 Sep 2000 12:23:39 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: From a newbie standpoint

Robert Hicks <rhicks@rma.edu> wrote:

> From a newbie standpoint FreeBSD needs a graphical installation routine

Please explain to me why it needs to be graphical.  In particular,
why flickering 60Hz standard VGA graphics mode is better than 70Hz
non-flickering standard VGA text mode.  I'm apparently awfully
dense, but I simply can't grasp what advantages a graphical
installation offers over a curses-based one (nor what a curses-based
one offers over a simple prompt system).

> that walks a newbie through setting up the system.

I'm under the impression that a novice installation does just this.

Of course, you do realize that FreeBSD is a unix system which, once
it is installed, needs a skilled administrator?  When I started
out with unix, I was told you needed ten years of experience to be
qualified for system administration.  No matter whether you believe
in that estimate, systems have not become any simpler since.