Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 1998 15:10:32 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Kyle Mestery <mestery@winternet.com>
Cc:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Call for testers for RealTek 8139 driver

>I am seeing something weird.  When transfering large files, I can routinely get
>about 1000 KB/s between the two FreeBSD boxes.  But, the collision light on my
>hub flashes a lot, which surprised me, since the only traffic on the hub was
>between the two FreeBSD boxes.  So, I did a netstat -i on both boxes, and

   Don't worry about that. Slight differences in the speed of the NICs on the
wire (specifically, their ability to send out back-to-back packets) is the
main thing that will affect collisions. The collisions are caused by the
output packets colliding with the TCP ACKs and is quite normal and expected
with half duplex ethernet.

-DG

David Greenman