Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 1995 12:17:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      PHIL Gilley <seas!letni!rho!phil@cs.utexas.edu>
To:        rho!freebsd.org!questions@cs.utexas.edu
Subject:   Swapping on a diskless workstation

I'm attempting to set up a diskless workstation using 2.0.5-RELEASE
on both the client and server.  Everything semms to work except I'm
not sure I have the swap partition set up properly.  The client only
has 8 megs of RAM and starting up a few copies of bash or doing a man
will cause the machine to reboot.  When the client boots, the following
is printed to the screen:

NFS SWAP: 192.168.200.6:/swapfs
NFS ROOT: 192.168.200.6:/rootfs/delta

But doing a "pstat -s" shows:

Device      512-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
/dev/??          40000        0    39872     0%    Interleaved

I assume this means I don't have a swap partition.  I currently don't
have a line in my /etc/fstab for the swap partition because I couldn't
figure out what it should be.  The swapon command would complain about
everything I could think of to try.  Everything else is set up as is
explained in the "Diskless operations" section of the Handbook on
www.freebsd.org.  Can someone tell me what's wrong?

Phil Gilley
phil@rho.lonestar.org
pgilley@metronet.com (for faster delivery)