Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:27:17 -0800
From:      Naydoe Maung <nyingelay@hotpop.com>
To:        Jacob Rhoden <jrhoden@unimelb.edu.au>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OT] Reverse ssh through firewall?

On Sunday 10 November 2002 09:05 pm, Jacob Rhoden wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> If I have two machines (one at work, and one at home) and one of them h=
as
> all ports firewalled (I can ssh from work to home, but not home to work=
).
> Is there a way to open ssh on the home machine and have my work compute=
> connect to it (so that i have access to my work machine from home).
>
> Any ideas much appreciated...
>
> Thanks,
> Jacob
>
> Jacob Rhoden            Phone: +61 3 8344 6102
> ITS Division            Email: jrhoden@unimelb.edu.au
> Melbourne University   Mobile: +61 403 788 386

More detailed info on the issue will be much more helpful, but let's just=
 work=20
on possible assumptions here.

It seems that you work computers are behind the firewall, since you can't=
 ssh=20
into your work computer. =20

If you have NATed computers at work, forward the incoming traffic on the =
port=20
22 to your internal NATed computer's port 22, assuming that the sshd is u=
sing=20
the default port 22.  Of course, you'll have to allow all traffic coming =
into=20
port 22.

If your work computer has its own designated IP addr., just allow all inc=
oming=20
traffic on port 22 (for your computer's IP addr only) in the firewall's=20
configuration.

There can also be other possibilities that are causing this issue, but I =
think=20
this should take care of the problem.  Please feel free to edit/fix the=20
solutions that I've given above.

good luck,
Naydoe Maung