Date:      Mon, 15 Aug 2005 20:19:49 +0200
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bj=F6rn_K=F6nig?= <bkoenig@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        Ted Thomas <ted@desktop2e.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELEASE 4

Ted Thomas wrote:

> I just installed RELEASE 4 on a Dell 800mhz w/128mb ram.

I suppose you mean 5.4-RELEASE?

> While attempting to install CVSup, I keep encountering patch failures
> like this one:
>
> cosmo4# make install
> ===>  Vulnerability check disabled, database not found
> ===>  Extracting for libtool-1.5.10_1
> => Checksum OK for libtool-1.5.10.tar.gz.
> ===>  Patching for libtool-1.5.10_1
> ===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for libtool-1.5.10_1
> 2 out of 8 hunks failed--saving rejects to ltmain.sh.rej
> => Patch patch-ltmain.sh failed to apply cleanly.
> => Patch(es) patch-aa patch-ab patch-ad patch-ae patch-af
> patch-libtoolize.in applied cleanly.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/devel/libtool15.
> cosmo4#
>
> I've rat-holed on this, when CvsUp failed, I tried ezm3, that failed;
> then I tried installing libtool alone, that failed...

Install the package cvsup (or cvsup-without-gui) and update your local
ports directory before trying to install anything from ports. See also

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html
("CVSup Method")

> Originally installed RELEASE 4 from an iso image, but ran into this
> problem. Also could not get GENERIC kernel to compile.

A few lines from the output might be helpful.

Björn