Date:      Fri, 3 May 1996 21:27:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        vernick@CS.SunySB.EDU (Michael Vernick)
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 3940 and Scatter/Gather

> The documentation specifies that the 3940 can perform scatter/gather.

As can the aha(1542, 1742, 2742, 2940, 2842), bt(542, 742, 747, 757, 946),
etc etc...

> Does anyone know how to use this feature?
FreeBSD uses it on all the above cards, read the source code to understand
how it is used.

> Is it Adaptec specific?

No, almost all bus master scsi controllers support scatter/gather.

> I didn't see anything about scatter/gather in the Scsi spec.

It has nothing to do with the scsi bus, it has to do with the fact that
you can gather arbitrary blocks of host memory into one write command,
or scatter one scsi read command to many memory blocks.  This is very
advantages when your I/O subsystem runs using physical addresses and the
host OS is a virtual memory system.