Date:      Fri, 15 Apr 2005 16:18:03 +1000
From:      Michael Vince <mv@roq.com>
To:        amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Openoffice2 success on Amd64 linux emu

Hey all,
I dunno if this is news to any one but installed OpenOffice2 Linux beta
on FreeBSD AMD64 with success
Its running on this kernel.
FreeBSD mylaptop 5.4-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-PRERELEASE #2: Sun Apr  3
23:26:59 EST 2005
michael@mylaptop:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

I been using it for a few weeks now with no problems, except that I must
run it as root (just doing "su" from an xterm when launching it) if I
run as a regular user it crashes, I don't believe this is specific
problem to this as I also have to do it to open office 1.1 as well. On
my old install of AMD64 I never did.

For those who like instructions here is some reasonable detail of what I did.

Install Linux 8 emulation
portupgrade -RN /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-8/

Install Linux Xlibs
portupgrade -RN linux-XFree86-libs

Add this to /etc/rc.conf
linux_enable="YES"

Add this to /etc/fstab to mount the linux proc fs
none    /compat/linux/proc      linprocfs rw    0       0

Mount it, mount -a

Download the OpenOffice2 Linux X86 version.
Currently its only available in RPM format so I converted it to tar using rpm2cpio
portupgrade -RN rpm2cpio

I then used a dodgey perl script to convert it into tar files, this could be done in a 1 liner in shell but perls my unbreakable habit.
In the directory where the rpms are downloaded to i ran this.
#!/usr/bin/perl
$files = `ls`;
@files = split(/\n/,$files);
foreach $file (@files) 	{
				system("rpm2cpio $file > $file.tar");
			}

Extract the created tar files
ls | grep tar | xargs -n 1 tar -xf

~/RPMS/opt/openoffice.org1.9.79/program/soffice

Note I also installed the Linux 1.5 Java from the sun web site.

Cheers,
Mike