Date:      Wed, 3 Dec 2003 12:07:45 -0800
From:      Decker Wong-Godfrey <decker@apollonian.net>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Documenting Jail

Hello all,

I'd like to undertake writing more detailed Jail documentation.
Personally, I have found the Jail manual page--while it is an excellent
introduction to Jails--to be a little short on some information, for
instance:

   * It still uses "make world" in its instructions for building the
jail. Although this is probably the best solution for the manual page,
there is nothing discussing the fact that "make world" is hardly
necessary when a "make buildworld" (as is recommended by the handbook)
for the host system will already leave everything needed in place.

   * It doesn't discuss using any of the make.conf args that can be used
to define what the jail can and should have in it.

   * Although a Jail can run in the same IP address as the host, it only
discusses setting up a jail on a different IP address than the host.

Personally, I really like the Jail manual page because it does what I
think a manual page should do: get to the nuts and bolts of getting
things running. But outside the Jail manual page, I can't find any
documentation, save a paper at
http://docs.freebsd.org/44doc/papers/jail/jail.html (which concentrates
more on what a Jail does than how to use a Jail).

There seems to be plenty of need for something more, as I find plenty
of (good and not so good) information that other people have put on
their websites. The problem is, I'm not sure whether someone else is
undertaking the same project. I've spent a couple months lurking around
here, have looked at the FDP, but I'm still getting the hang of how
things work.

Maybe it's just because I'm used to documenting under different
conditions; a little while back, I finished 3 years working as a
systems administrator/technical writer for a company that worked
writing documentation. There, everything was very formalized, people
were assigned tasks & had deadlines. I understand that things work a
little differently in a volunteer environment, but I'm still not quite
sure how one would start a project (other than doing something like
this).

Anyways, thanks for all your hard work; believe me I've been very
thankful on many occasions to all of you who have worked on the
documentation.

Decker Wong-Godfrey