Date:      Sun, 15 May 2005 10:27:16 -0600
From:      Ken Gunderson <kgunders@teamcool.net>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rackmount MP AMD boxes?

Jose M Rodriguez wrote:
> El Domingo, 15 de Mayo de 2005 07:25, gnn@freebsd.org escribió:
>
>>At Sun, 15 May 2005 12:42:03 +0800,
>>
>>Erich Dollansky wrote:

>>>It depends on your budget.
>>>
>>>I use Tyan motherboards and do my own machines if it should be
>>>cheap.
>>
>>I'm thinking $2000 total, board, box, processors, memory and a disk.
>>I'd like to go lower of course but doubt it since I want two
>>processors ;-)
>>

> Tyan GX28 (B2882) will be a cantidate, but you be warned of:
>
> - It's an 1U blade.
> - Doesn't have too much disk I/O power (SATA conected to PCI 32/33).
>
> In the other hand:
>
> + dual core CPU support official By tyan.
> + Free PCI-X 64/133 slot.
> + Broadcom BCM5704C dual channel to PCI-X bridge.
> + Intel 82551QM to PCI 32/33
>
> I doesn't try run this with just a dual-core CPU.  ALso this will limit
> RAM to 4 slot/ 8 GB.
>
> So think in a base 244 (x2) system with DDR333 (x4).

This was what I had in mind when I mentioned 1u Transport...  But if you
need more disk, then they also have a scsi based 1u that supports 4 bays.

If you didn't need a rackmount, you may consider building your own, but
w/rackmount, you get the backplane, etc.  all nicely integrated for you
in a package that, from Tyan at least, is also dual core certified.  The
same mainboards seprarately are not, as the barebone units get a
slightly different bios.  Although I suspect you could upgrade the bios...

The dual core support is nice plus.  From the pricing I've seen,
however, a single dual core comes in substantially higher than 2 single
core cpu's.  But then this is just w/my upstream distributor's pricing,
not shopping the net at large....  Such a strategy offers a very
attractive option;-)

Ciao-- kvg