Date:      Tue, 04 May 2010 01:35:24 -0700
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com
To:        antoniok.spb@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange diskspace loss

<antoniok.spb@gmail.com> wrote:

> And the fsck:
>
> # fsck
> ** /dev/aacdu0s1e (NO WRITE)
> ** Last Mounted on /var
> ** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
> ** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
> ** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
> ** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
> UNREF FILE I=23587  OWNER=root
> MODE=100644
> SIZE=0 MTIME=Apr  9 13:36
> 2010
> CLEAR?
> no
>
> UNREF FILE I=3156011  OWNER=root MODE=100644
> SIZE=6944766 MTIME=May  4 04:34 2010
> CLEAR? no
>
> UNREF FILE I=3179521  OWNER=www MODE=100644
> SIZE=30361665474 MTIME=May  4 09:43 2010
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> CLEAR? no

There's at least part of your problem:  30GB that du can't see
because it isn't linked to by any directory entry.  Something
associated with your web server has created a large scratch file,
which it still has open (and thus the space can't be reclaimed),
but it unlinked the file after creating it so that it would
automatically go away once the process dies.

This sort of thing -- though seldom so large as this -- is not at
all uncommon in /tmp.  It's less common, but (as in this case) not
unheard of, in /var/tmp.