Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 2009 16:59:51 -0500
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        Steven Friedrich <freebsd@insightbb.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI temperature

2009/11/29 Steven Friedrich <freebsd@insightbb.com>:
> On Sunday 29 November 2009 11:03:28 am you wrote:
>> 2009/11/29 Steven Friedrich <freebsd@insightbb.com>:
>> > I booted my HP Pavilion zd8215us and I immediately invoked
>> > chkCPUTemperature. The first temp reported was 52C, which is 125.6F. T=
his
>> > leads me to believe that acpi has an anomaly regarding temperature
>> > measurement. The ambient temp was 71F (21.6C). The machine had been of=
>> > for over eight hours.
>>
>> I'm not sure. =A0My laptop shows about 59C as soon as I can
>> log in, in a room kept around 16C ambient. =A0It rather quickly
>> drops to <40C if I let it idle with powerd doing its thing.
>>
> Thanks for the response. One question though, what OS are you running.
>
> The reason I ask is because I want to discover if it's FreeBSD specific o=
> possibly affecting Linux distros as well. And if you're running FreeBSD, =
which
> version.

I think CPU use/temp during boot-up _could_ vary a lot from
one operating system to another, I don't know that it must,
though, since the whole business is arcane and full of magic
(much like poutine).

FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #1: Mon Nov 23 13:47:06 EST 2009
amd64

It's a turion x2 of 1990MHz

I only had windows on long enough to burn one CD back in
February, so I have not the least clue how it behaved (besides
terribly).

I can't find any way to get the actual temperature values under
Opensolaris, but I do dual boot.  It spends so much time starting
so many mind-bogglingly worthless services prior to giving me
a log-in prompt that I'm not sure the comparison is fair.  The fan
usually kick into high prior to the log-in prompt, though.

Opensolaris is pretty horrible in terms of performance and battery
life compared to FreeBSD. It's also like a strange, alien wasteland
what with bash & gnome & other linuxisms, except pfexec.
pfexec rocks.

--=20