Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 22:07:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What's changed recently with vmware/linuxemu/file I/O

On 7 Feb 2001, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org> writes:
> > Indeed.  I've been doing a ``make build'' on an OpenBSD-current vm
> > for three days (probably about 36 hours excluding suspends) on a
> > 366MHz laptop with a ATA33 disk.
>
> Would it be possible for someone experiencing this slowdown to try to
> narrow down the day (or even the week) on which it occurred?

I've experienced a substantial slowdown in VMware since bumping forwards
from -STABLE on my workstation.  As I recently commented on -emulation,
I've also been experiencing 30-40 second hangs of the system during VMware
startup and occasional serious slowdown while running, which may be
related to the fairly intensive VM activity for page wiring and the like,
or possible poor interaction with the ATA driver.  I also get messages on
the order of the following:

swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: device: ad0s1b, blkno: 2696, size: 4096

And have heard that others have started getting them also, although don't
have confirmation of that.  It may be that things need retuning a bit in
-CURRENT, or that we need to wait for SMPng to do some pushdown of locks.