Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 09:18:22 -0800
From:      Jerry Preeper <preeper@cts.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mirrordir question

I am using mirrordir to make a duplicate copy of one hard drive on the
system to another for backup purpose and just recently had some
modifications made to the kernel.  Now I get the following message in the
output from my cron backup job:

mirrordir: unable to open file for writing: /mnt/kernel: Operation not
permitted

The basic command I have in my backup script if the following:

/usr/local/bin/mirrordir --exclude /proc --exclude /mnt / /mnt

The only other thing I really do in the script is to cancel the backup job
if the source files are less than 95% in size than what's on the backup
(which I can override if I want).

Anyone have any ideas what I might need to do fix this.  I would like the
script to backup the kernel as well automatically.

Jerry