Date:      Sat, 2 Feb 2002 20:45:58 +0200
From:      Marcus Collins <marcus@writeclick.co.za>
To:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@TheWorld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make readmes failure in ports

On Sat,  2 Feb 2002 at 10:46:47 -0500, Kenneth W Cochran wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Why is "make readmes" in /usr/ports doing this?

[ snip ]

> ===> comms/yaps
> ===>   Creating README.html for yaps-0.96
> ===> comms/yawmppp
> ===>   Creating README.html for yawmppp-2.0.2
> ===> comms/zmtx-zmrx
> ===>   Creating README.html for zmtx-zmrx-1.02
> ===> converters
> ===>  Creating README.html
> make: don't know how to make package-name. Stop
> make: no target to make.

Sometimes, when you cvsup, you'll catch the cvsup server in the middle
of its update, or its collection won't be up-to-date for some reason. In
this case, a Makefile was probably missing for a newly-created port in
converters. I've just now cvsup'ed from cvsup2.za.freebsd.org and found
an empty converters/gb2jis directory. Since there's no Makefile in it,
the 'make package-name' fails, consequently causing 'make readmes' to
fail.

You can try cvsuping another time, or safely remove the offending
directory, as cvsup should recreate it the next time you update.

hth

-- Marcus