Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 2009 01:24:33 +0200
From:      Kaya Saman <SamanKaya@netscape.net>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New user - small file server questions and quick GUI question

> I would say ufs2 easily wins, but remember this is the
> freebsd-questions list ;)  There are some differences though, ufs2
> uses softupdates, not journaling(journaling is available and easy to
> implement via gjournal).  Softupdates I believe are a little faster
> than journaling, but it's drawback is long disk checking after a dirty
> shutdown.  I've never had a ufs specific issue in hundreds if not
> thousands of deployments, but nothing is guaranteed.  ufs does have a
> great track records and bunch of service hours logged.

Cool meaning I am going UFS2 on my new install!

> Example after a dirty shutdown:
>
>  fsck -y

Aaah fsck :-) If I run this on an ext3 FS it tends to make things much
worse as I did it once and got left with a whole bunch of unattached
inodes :-(

reason for Linux and ext3 e2fsck is much better I have found from
personal experience!

> That's actually a bit disconcerting, do you have hardware instability?

Nope! These systems are actually desktop systems which I run as servers
as I couldn't afford to buy proper systems so got a whole bunch of cheap
x86 boxes off Ebay. If running Scalix though I found it really eats up
hard drives - although running a collaboration suite on a laptop is not
the most intelligent thing to do but then what else can you do with a
portable computer with bust LCD display?

Left in my parents house in the UK now as I'm currently in Turkey but my
lab from scavenged parts and systems:
http://www.optiplex-networks.com/lab/lab.html

> --
> Adam Vande More