Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 1995 08:18:53 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Problem with pty's?

>I've seen an interesting problem crop up with 2.0 and now with 2.0.5-RELEASE.
>
>Let's say I log on, start X, start a console Xterm and run "vi" on
>a file in it.
>
>Then, lets say I don't stop the "vi" program; but kill the X server (or
>else, the X server dies for some reason.)
>
>Then, I log back on, start another console Xterm and guess what happens...
>some of my keystrokes are going to that "vi" program that was (and still
>is, for some reason) running on the previous Xterm, and some are going
>to the shell which is now running on the pty.

I've seen this before and even posted once about it.  What's worse is
that if the previous user was root, and you log in as yourself, you
can gain control of those sessions.  I don't know if the processes
should get hupped.  In most of the cases I've seen it, the process was
backgrounded and just spitting out output.  It seems like the programs
stdout wasn't closed properly.  This has been around since at least
2.0.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM