Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2016 11:43:08 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Freebsd-mono <freebsd-mono@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Maintaining mono/.net

--lixkatwcgx7j2zrq

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 11:06:02AM -0700, Russell Haley wrote:
> Hello Ports Team,
>=20
> A couple of us on the freebsd-mono@ mailing list are having a
> discussion on how best to maintain the mono ports/.net ports. One of
> the things that has come up is maintaining the patches for "all this
> stuff". The current paradigm in FreeBSD as I understand it is to use
> the files directory and apply the patches to the port via svn/ports
> tree. However, with the ubiquity of GitHub in opensource, it now seems
> to be feesable to simply create a Github accound to maintain a bunch
> of forked repositories (which is essentially a patched git
> repository!). This makes it easier to create and apply patches and
> gives us the natural path to push things back upstream. In the end, we
> would just pull from the FreeBSD specific repository, which is no
> different than, say, pulling from the mono project directly.
>=20
> This email is a request for response from anyone on the ports team (or
> FreeBSD general) to give some input as to the acceptability of this
> solution, as well as any "gotchas" we haven't thought of yet. Thanks
> in advance!
>=20
There are absolutely nothing against this. Actually some ports were already
doing that before the github era :D

The only difficulty the history told us is : when active people get less ac=
tive
for various reasons you need to make sure enough people continues to get ac=
cess
to the said repo.

Tracking upstream updates because more complicated for people not in the te=
am
(we already saw in the past ports stucked for more than 5/6 years actions b=
eing
taken (maintainer of the forked becoming mostly MIA)

It also depends how many patches you end up with, I haven't checked the
mono/.net ports but if that is just a bunch of small patches then the overh=
ead
is not worth the pain, if there are lots of patches then sure maintaining y=
our
repo is simpler.

Depending on how active you (the team) are and how close to the upstream yo=
u are
one can also see those repositories as "temporary" until all the amount of
patches are upstreamed and when done the ports can switch back to the offic=
ial
distfiles (this is always a goal for ports upstreaming all our patches so w=
e can
remain as close as possible from the vanilla sources)

That said I do applause the effort. As a conclusion do what ever you think =
is
the easiest mechanism for you as long as things like monodevelop and friend=
s can
be pushed in a working state again.

Best regards,
Bapt