Date:      Mon, 1 Sep 2008 15:35:55 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <freebsd-questions@slightlystrange.org>
To:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: newsyslog

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF

On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 01:06:38PM +0200, Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> Just one quick question: do changes to /etc/newsyslog.conf require=20
> /usr/bin/killall -HUP syslogd?

No, newsyslog.conf is the config file for the newsyslog script, which
is called from cron every hour (IIRC). newsyslog handles sending signals
to syslogd and others depending on the values in the last three fields of
the newsyslog.conf file.

>=20
> I commented out one entry for log rotation, however at midnight the log=
=20
> was still rotated by newsyslog as if it had not been commented out. Man=
=20
> newsyslog.conf seems to suggest this is not necessary...

Odd. I've never encountered this problem. Are you sure you commented out
the right file?  ;-)

Dan

--=20
Daniel Bye