Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 1995 09:12:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu (Charles Henrich)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do I save panic messages?!

The best way is to switch back to an non-X console (CTL-ALT-F1)
before testing your change!
then you should be able to see what comes up when you do your test..
if it doesn't crash, use ALT-F4 to switch back to X and keep working..
in adition, you can save a corefile of the crash if you've config'd the kernel
correctly and dump out the command buffer in it when you've rebooted..
 not to mention running gdb on the saved corefile to get a stack-trace and
other nice goodies.. (see man savecore, man gdb etc.)

julian