Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 1995 11:03:16 +1100 (EST)
From:      Gavin CAMERON <rdsgc@cs.mu.OZ.AU>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Question about IP accounting in FreeBSD 2.0.5

I have a question about IP accounting in the 2.0.5 FreeBSD kernel.

I setup my accounting chain in the following way:
	ipfw adda single all from hostA to hostB via ppp0
	ipfw adda single all from 0.0.0.0/0 to hostB via ppp0

What I want to be able to do is account for all traffic that IS NOT
coming from hostA. Logically, the second rule should catch this.

Here's my question. In FreeBSD once a packet matches one accounting
rule is it matched against any other accounting rules?

If it is, should it be? I say no. But there many be a very compelling
reason why it is.

It appears to me that the counters are updated for every accounting
rule that the packet matches. So in the above example a packet coming
from hostA will be caught by both rules, and we get double
accounting for the packet.

I can write scripts to get around the problem, but the implementation
seems flawed.

Can you put me in contact with the person who implemented this code.

Gavin
gavin@ormond.unimelb.edu.au