Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 1997 14:23:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@ChrisBowman.com>
To:        Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Ric Flinn <rmf@radiks.net>, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Register windowing

On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, Jason Evans wrote:

>[ lot of stuff I haven't had time to digest delete ]
>
>Comments?
>
>Jason
>
>P.S. One issue that may come up is the difference between V8 and V9
>architectures.  V9 allows nested traps, but I don't think V8 does, which
>requires much more care while in supervisor mode.  This could directly
>affect window management.

This may become that place that we really need to decide how much
support for older sun architecures we really want to build in from the
start.  Presumably, even if Jason only does a port to the Ultra
architecture, we will have generalized support for sun machines
including older stuff like the ss 4's, 5's and 10's and stuff
like the ipc, ipx and the like (I can't really remember but I guess
this means sun4c and sum4m) But if we take advantage of the nested
traps, which BTW sounds like it will make things much cleaner/easier,
then it may make supporting these older machines much harder.
Whereas if we had spent a little time at the start thinking about
these issues we might be in better shape.

>P.P.S.  The most applicable sections of the V9 Manual to this are:
>5.1.1.[2,3] 5.2.10*, 6.3.6*, and various parts of Appendix H.
>
>Jason Evans
>Email: [jasone@canonware.com]
>Home phone: [(650) 856-8204]
>Work phone: [(408) 774-8007]
>Quote: ["Invention is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration" - Thomas Edison]

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@ChrisBowman.com
<A HREF="http://www.ChrisBowman.com">My home page</A>