Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:54:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   KDE2 and the Linuxulator

KDE2 is still in beta, so this is really just a heads-up, but
there is a problem we will eventually need to contend with:

Under KDE, when you run an application (either with Run Command...
or with a panel menu item), the panel shows immediate feedback
in the form of a window entry with a little spinning disk symbol.
This is replaced by the entry for the application's first window
when it finally arrives.

It does this by using LD_PRELOAD to load libkmapnotify.so. This
library presumably sits between the application and libX11 and
tells the panel when to get rid of the ersatz application entry.

The problem is that when you try and run a Linux app, the LD_PRELOAD
not only fails, but also prevents the linux app from running.

Thus, it is impossible to start Linux apps from KDE2.

The solution is for there to be a Linux version of libkmapnotify.so.4
under /compat/linux/usr/local/lib so that the LD_PRELOAD works either
for FreeBSD apps or Linux ones. It is unclear to me whether this
library will need any modifications to work in this manner. I suspect
not.

It is similarly unclear to me whether or not this is an issue for the
linux_base port or the kdelibs2 port. I would suspect the former.