Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 23:36:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@torrentnet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Archive pruning

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Bakul Shah wrote:

> > Do we really need 5 year old history?
>
> That really depends on your point of view.
>
> "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
> 		-- Santayana
>
> "The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history."
>                 -- Hegel
>
> I am with Hegel in the very long term but what is the rush
> about pruning?  Set a cron job to ask this in the year 2037!
> In the short term it is valuable to trace back the genesis of
> various features/bugs.  With cvs annotate you can even find
> out who put in a feature or bug and bug that person about it
> (as I was just this past week about something I had written
> over four years back).  The networking code is so convoluted
> that having all the history (which we don't) can be very
> valuable in unravelling all the development strands.

Well, I wasn't talking about a harsh pruning, but I haven't seen much
support for the idea, so maybe it better drop.  The idea came when I was
making room for vmware ... boy, I wish that the new generation of 18G
Ultra160 disks would come out already ... the only reasonably priced one
is the Seagate, but it could be aptly nicknamed the "data furnace" from
just how hot it runs.

I need more disk!

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.