Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:46:38 -0400
From:      "SILVER, MICHAEL A" <MSILVER@scana.com>
To:        "'joel2a@yahoo.com'" <joel2a@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: installation doesn't work right with X and Netscape

You are right, it isn't perfect, and perhaps there are some good ideas on
how to improve it.  I have done some pretty complete installs and have never
run into package conflicts (knock on wood).

Linux disrtibutions have paid full time people improving their install,
while AFAIK, FreeBSD is done by part timers for free.  This is both it's
strength and weakness.  In a sense FreeBSD follows the spirit of Linux more
than Linux does.

I started using the packages, but as I got more into FreeBSD, I found the
ports offered much more.  Now I rarely install a package, I usually use the
port.  Although the ports are by far the best collection of software I know
of on any OS, it needs a good index and in depth descriptions of each of the
applications.  The freeBSD web site is a good source of info on the Ports,
but you need to have an idea of what you are looking for.

You may want to try using the ports instead.  It is probably a good idea to
install one at a time, and ensure each one works properly.

...Michael...