Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 1995 04:41:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Robert Du Gaue <rdugaue@calweb.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Robert Du Gaue <rdugaue@calweb.com>
Subject:   Corrupt files and spontaneous reboots

I've been having problems where every now and then for what seems like no
reason an executable simply goes 'bad' and starts to core dump and
give errors like segmentation fault. It's happened to utils like 'ls',
'groff', 'troff', 'umount', 'mount_nfs', and most recently 'csh'! Taking
an original from another machine and comparing, there's usually something
like two bytes different. Copying over the executable with a fresh one
fixes the problem, but I can never be sure what util will be the next one
to go.

Not sure if this is related, but I've also been in the office a few times
when I've been looking at the console and the system starts syncing disks
and rebooting! No error messages or anything, but when this happens it
almost *never* comes up on its own. (Pretty tough when using the system
as an ISP!) It'll go into single user mode and give me the shell prompt.
However, the shell prompt at this point usually doesn't work. A few times
I was able to get into a shell by specifying bash as the shell rather
then the default (I suspect this is from csh going bad). Once getting a
shell I end up reinstalling fresh binaries as the system seems to core
dump and go nuts on several different programs after one of these reboots.
Installing the bins fixes the problem and i'm at least able to get up and
going.

So my question is.... Any ideas what is going??????

I have made one change in the kernel which was mentioned here before when
someone asked about trying to speed up NFS writes. I've commented out the
'SYNC" param and have recompiled. Is this known to possibly cause
problems? I can live with 150-200kbs writes for stability!