Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:25:03 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More FUD from Perens

Brett Glass said on Jun 14, 2001 at 23:35:40:
> Perens continues his misleading rhetoric, with the complicity of ZDNet, at
>
> http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/comment/0,5859,2775027,00.html

His point of view is common enough. You have yourself said that you
don't think the BSD license is appropriate for desktop applications.
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=40740+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2001/freebsd-chat/20010603.freebsd-chat
You gave it as a reason for not starting your own BSD-licensed
project.  So you can't disagree with him on that.

You also thought the GPL is less suitable and will not produce a
quality desktop, but plenty of people (me included) think it already
has produced a quality desktop.  So I understand you disagree with
Perens, but that doesn't make what he says "misleading rhetoric".

> Also note that, in one of the Talkback responses, he continues his
> disinformation campaign when he touts the GPL as promoting standards when
> in fact it sabotages them.

Examples of the GPL sabotaging standards?  gcc was one of the first
ANSI-compliant C compilers around (before Sun's own bundled compiler,
so that many ended up using gcc on Sun machines at that time).  g++
today is closer to standards compliance than almost any other C++
compiler.  All other GNU software seem to follow relevant standards as
close as they can (including the GNU C library which follows the ISO C
99 and various other standards).  If you find a piece of GNU software
which doesn't follow some particular standard, have you thought of
just writing in and telling the maintainers?

Or are you complaining about the extensions to gcc, etc?  I have news
for you: every compiler I've ever seen has extensions.  Look what
Borland did to Pascal, for instance (it was an improvement, imo, but
it was not standard). gcc at least has a -pedantic flag which you can
use if you want to be correct.