Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 1998 10:59:19 -0600
From:      Russ Howard <rhoward@sabre.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Questions

Gentlemen,

I am thinking of putting either Linux, Free BSD, or some form of Unix on
my system at home to coexist with my Windows 95, Windows NT 4.0, and
OS/2 Warp 4 partitions. Linux appears to be out, because it doesn't
support plug 'n pray (at least that's what I read at the Red Hat
homepage). Does Free BSD support plug 'n play (I couldn't find it in the
online docs)? Also, here is my system :

Intel Pentium 90mhz
72MB non-parity 70ns RAM
1.6 GB EIDE Western Digital Hard Drive
5.2 GB EIDE Maxtor Hard Drive
Blaster 6X CD-ROM (off of its own PNP EIDE card)
Creative Labs Vibra 16 Sound Card
Parallel Port Zip Drive
Microsoft Inport Bus Mouse (off of its own PNP card)
HP Deskjet 560C (off of the Zip Drive)
Cirrus Logic 5434 SVGA video w/ 1MB RAM
AST BIOS 2.02
17in. Magnavox .28 Monitor

The system has LBA BIOS for my hard drives. Here is how my drives are
laid out :

                 Disk 1 - 5.1 GB Maxtor EIDE (Master)

Boot Manager    7.8MB            Primary
C:              313MB    FAT     Primary     Windows 95
                353MB   NTFS     Logical     Windows NT 4.0
E:              251MB    FAT     Logical     Data
                300MB   HPFS     Logical     OS/2 Data
F:                1GB    FAT     Logical     Data
G:                1GB    FAT     Logical     Data
H:                1GB    FAT     Logical     Data
I:                1GB    FAT     Logical     Data
                400MB   HPFS     Logical     OS/2 Warp 4

                 Disk 2 - 1.6GB Western Digital EIDE (Slave)

D:              549MB    FAT     Primary     Linux or Free BSD
                  1GB   HPFS     Logical     OS/2 Data

Will this drive setup work with BSD?
Will Free BSD cooperate with my system? Also, when was the last official
version of Free BSD cut and when will the next one be (I want to get the
most current official release)? What is the version number of the most
current official release? Thanks for your help with this.

Russ

P.S. You can send the answers either to rhoward@sabre.com (work) or
falcon@dhc.net (home).

--