Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 07:46:29 +0200
From:      Geoff Rehmet <geoffr@is.co.za>
To:        "'Kevin Street'" <street@iname.com>, Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        brian@pobox.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: ATA - Trouble mounting secondary master

I just rebooted on an August 11 kernel.  My system
still is happy with the disks.  Hmm.

I can't remember exactly where my tracing went, before I
left off before, but the message you are seeing comes from
/sys/i386/isa/diskslice_machdep.c, line 200 (version 1.35).

What you will probably find, is that if you put a line that
goes:

goto reread_mbr

instead of "goto done", you will find that, on the second
attempt, it reads the mbr successfully.
The above is a severe kludge, and that is why I never committed
any code to do anything of the sort.  I think the error is
actually somewhere in the ATA code (sorry Soren).  I don't
want to patch around a bug.

Now somebody remarked that after the probe, a drive status
light stayed on - maybe, the probe is not doing something
properly for some drives, or there is somethign timing out.