Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 08:40:24 +1100
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD - A User's Point of View

On Sun, Jan 24, 1999 at 10:09:47PM +0900, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> jonathan michaels wrote:
> >
> > is this softupdates teh same as a journaling filesystem, if not is freebsd
> > going to evolve such a creature ?
>
> No, softupdates is not a journaling filesystem. It is a different
> semantics for writes for ffs. (Well, I suppose softupdates
> "technology" is applicable to any fs, but in our case, is ffs.)
>
> FreeBSD evolving a journaling filesystem depends on someone doing
> it. :-) A journaling fs has advantages over Delayed Ordered Writes
> fs, which is softupdates' poor cousin, so to speak (in what they do,
> not in who did them). So, I guess a journaling fs has advantages
> over softupdates, but I'd have to go back to my archives to "recall"
> them :-). But it is a little bit unlikely someone would trouble
> him/herself with a journaling fs given softupdates.

yes, it is starting to look like that. now all i have to do is workout how to
sell teh 'softupdates' concept to a died in teh wool novell journelling fs
database manager whose hide has been saved more than once by journelling.

ummm, not an easy task . but we will prevail .. grin.

revicved with thanks

jonathan