Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 19:10:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>
To:        bugs@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   as, binutils out of date?

Hello

I was just compiling the latest Wine distribution when I noticed that `as'
from 2.2.5 R did not recognize the `string' pseudo-op.  I just compiled
gas from GNU binutils-2.8.1, however, and it has this function.  Will
binutils 2.8.1 be included with the next release?  I believe the present
version may be out of date.

Is FreeBSD's ld exactly the same as GNU's?  I think I will just compile
the gas portion of binutils and install it in /usr/bin over top the stock
FreeBSD as. I noticed that the man page for ld was 'customized' by a core
member and not the stock GNU manpage, but the `as' manpage was stock.

Thanks

	Donn