Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 1995 09:23:27 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu (-Vince-)
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

-Vince- stands accused of saying:
> > When I originally wrote this, I had 64M RAM.  But the synthesiser
> > swapped too much and took way to long to run on here.  With more
> > memory, it swapped less and ran much faster.  I don't remember the
> > numbers, but it was very significant.  A Sparc 5 with 192M RAM was
> > keeping up with a Sparc 10 with 128M.  One factor we probably didn't
> > consider was that the 10 may have had a faster disk on it.
>
> 	Hmmm, how does a FreeBSD box match up to a Sparc though?

Depends on what you're trying to do with it, and what sort of FreeBSD
box you're talking about.  A VLB '486DX2/66 will just about keep even
with a Sparc 2 otherwise similarly configured; I don't have any data
on faster Sun systems as just about everything around here is an Alpha.

> 	I guess so but physical ram is expensive while swap is cheap so
> like isn't there a point where you can just put a number for the physical
> memory and just use swap the rest of the way and it will work fine?

If your working set size significantly exceeds your physical memory
size, it doesn't matter how much swap you have, you're still going to
thrash.