Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 1999 08:03:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Pechter <pechter@pechter.ddns.org>
To:        dyson@iquest.net
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Guess we've lost the server market too...?

> A little insider note: I happen to have access to the insides
> of the proverbial largest computer manufacturer, and they really
> love FreeBSD.  The reason why it isn't being used in certain
> applications has NOTHING to do with technical excellence.
>
> --
> John                  | Never try to teach a pig to sing,
> dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid
> jdyson@nc.com         | and it irritates the pig.

Having worked at IBM two years ago, I know the one of the reasons they
went to Linux was probably it's market recognition and it's internal
use by the techies (including myself) who used Linux instead of
FreeBSD due to the Token Ring support which wasn't in FreeBSD 2.1
and wasn't going to be there unless someone with a vested interest
in Token Ring hardware did something.

I ran Linux at work on my desktop.

Linux's support of non-high end hardware still beats FreeBSD.
I've already begun to lose the battle.  I've got two machines at work
running 2.2.8 that will go Linux, since there's no Scsi support
for their controllers in FreeBSD 3.x. (We shouldn't have lost the
AIC and NCR5380 support in 3.1.)  Unfortunately, coding this stuff is
beyond my poor old sysadmin capabilities.  I can script, compile
and test -- but not code stuff like that.

The way I got FreeBSD in to work was showing it's excellent server
capabilities on low end (5 year old) hardware.

We're losing this battle.  Linux used to have some drivers out a little
before FreeBSD, but FreeBSD has walked away from the desktop
towards server class hardware and isn't doing what it needs to to support
the widest range of hardware.

I've offered loaner hardware up to anyone doing the drivers.
I've already lent two NCR5380's to John Ruschmeyer who worked on the
NetBSD NCR5380 drivers.  I really would like to see someone CAM-ize
the FreeBSD drivers from 2.2.8.

Bill

---
  Bill Gates is a Persian cat and a monocle away from being a
  villain in a James Bond movie              -- Dennis Miller
  bpechter@shell.monmouth.com|pechter@pechter.nws.net|pechter@pechter.ddns.org