Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 09:10:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, multimedia@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Bt848 Video capture driver for FreeBSD

I strongly doubt that the person who wrote the demo used such sneaky
speed-ups, since it was designed to show off the new general-purpose
texture-mapping routines that will be in the 3D Kit for BeOS DR9. Besides
the cube, there was a sphere, an open book, and a pulsing surface that
looked like water that a pebble has been dropped into.  Furthermore, the
cube could be rotated by the user dragging the mouse.  In general, texture
mapping is straightforward enough, and a PowerPC 604 has enough horsepower
to solve it in the general case, that I'm sure that's what they did.

In other words, of course the hidden surfaces wouldn't be rendered, but
your other suggestions sound a little wacky.

Anyway, I didn't mean to bring BeOS into this, except that it's curious
that you should announce a driver for a card that I first heard of in
connection with the Be demo at MacWorld.  I'll have to buy the card and
let you know how it works.  Maybe I can sneak it into work one day and try
it out on the MBONE to FreeBSD Lounge, if I can find a Pentium to sneak
FreeBSD onto. :)

P.S.  I just saw a demo of SGI's new Octane system on the MBONE.  Using
Alias Wavefront, they did a real-time walkthrough of a robot walking along
a street with rain and streetlights!  They also showed a dragon flapping
its wings rendered in real-time with SoftImage, and emphasized the fact
that even though they're a subsidiary of Microsoft now, it still runs best
on SGI's!  If only I had $25,000 (or whatever the price is after
educational discount :) ...

|Jake Hamby| Ask me about Unix, FreeBSD, Solaris, The Tick, BeOS, or NT, eh? |
"This space intentionally left blank."