Date:      Tue, 15 Nov 2016 16:46:50 -0500
From:      Baho Utot <baho-utot@columbus.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing to RAIDZ1

On 11/12/16 11:52, Baho Utot wrote:
> I want to reinstall my desktop system using a raidz-1 filesystem using
> the current installation image for usb drive. Reading the handbook I
> find that bsdinstall will not do the installation I want.  I am using
> 4 1TB drives and I want to partition to 800GB and install the raidz
> there.  Can I create a raidz storage pool manually and then use
> bsdinstall or will I have to manually install freebsd not using
> bsdinstall?
>
> How do I do this?

Ok I got beyond the first part by patching
/usr/libexec/bsdintall/zfsboot to create 800GB partitions.

Now I have some questions as the zfs raidz-1 on root will not boot from
boot0cfg which I installed upon my original setup booting win7 and
freebsd 10.0.

Will Grub2 boot FreeBSD11 installed on zfs raidz-1?
If so can someone give me the scoop on how to do that as I just can not
afford to mess that up.
It will need to boot Win7, freebsd-10.0 and freebsd-11.0 on zfs raidz-1

I can I move the raidz install to different SATA controllers?  or will I
need to get down and dirty and fixup the drives in the raidz ?

As Always Thanks