Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 10:37:56 GMT
From:      "Jay L. West" <jlwest@tseinc.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   route problems

Something mysterious (to me) on our FreeBSD 2.0.5 ISP server regarding routes...

When a user dials into our system via iijppp, the ppplogin script creates a
route
for them. When they hang up, the route goes away. This makes sense. However, on
occasion when the user is NOT dialed in, the route suddenly reappears in the
route
table. If I delete it, it comes back in a minute or two. Then when the user
dials
in, no packets route to them. The only way I have found to free this up is to
quickly delete the route when they connect but before they log in. Then when
they
hang up the route disappears for good (as it should).

I'm not sure where to look for this one. There is another unix machine connected
to this system via ethernet. Is it possible that it learned the route and is
somehow propagating it back to the gateway? Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Jay West