Date:      Sat, 23 Mar 2002 16:05:57 +1100
From:      John Vender <john@jmv.com.au>
To:        John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell PowerEdge 1650

>On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, doug.fee@unisys.com wrote:
>
>> Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 17:01:24 -0500
>> From: "doug.fee@unisys.com" <doug.fee@unisys.com>
>> To: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>> Subject: Dell PowerEdge 1650
>>=20
>> Hi All,
>>=20
>> Does anyone know or tried to run FreeBSD on a Dell PowerEdge 1650?  I'm=
=20
>> pretty sure it would work, but I'm not sure about the dual embedded=20
>> gigabit ethernet cards that come with it.  I tried to find out exactly=20
>> what they are, but to no avail.  I'm thinking that maybe it is the Intel=
=20
>> PRO/1000 XTs.  But it is confusing since Dell offers them as add-on=20
>> cards also.
>>=20
>> Any light on this issue would be greatly appreciated since I'm=20
>> considering buying 7 of them...
>>=20
>> Thanks,
>> Doug Fee
>> Network Design Engineer
>> Unisys Corporation
>> doug.fee@unisys.com
>> 502-226-2143
>>=20
>
>Why not just ask Dell to provide them with FreeBSD on them?
>
>heheBWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA I kill me sometimes ....
>
>...sniff, hhehehe, seriously - can you buy them w/o an opsys on them? If=20
>so, why not choose a different vendor wich will sell you servers with BSD=
=20
>on them or save some money and build your own?
>
>Just curious.
>
>|-John Bleichert----syborg@stny.rr.com----------------|
>|-------------------http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg--|

There seems to be a view shared by many that Dell make well-built computers.=
 That may be the case but I have learned the hard way that anyone expecting=
 any help from them getting FreeBSD working correctly on one of their=
 systems (or anything other than windows or the linux they ship with) is=
 going to be very disappointed. Major hassles getting FreeBSD going properly=
 on Dell systems seem to get worked out by the FreeBSD gurus here but I=
 would put Dell near the bottom of my list as choice of hardware for a=
 FreeBSD server that isn't a nightmare to set up.

Cheers...John