Date:      Sun, 20 Jul 2003 21:08:42 -0400
From:      "Bob Perry" <rperry4@earthlink.net>
To:        "Joe Marcus Clarke" <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Build Stops with Multimedia/Gstreamer-plugins ?

Hi Joe,

It took a while, but I've completed the build.  Thanks again for your
assistance and your patience.

During the installation, the following prompt appeared:

    GDM may contain vulnerabilities leading local root compromise, and it is
reported             widely with various security sites and groups .  It is
not recommended that this port be     installed in public environment.  Do
you wish to accept security risk and build GDM         anyway?

(May have misspelled a word or two..sorry.)

There were "YES" and "NO" responses and "YES" was highlighted.  I have a
standalone machine and access the internet through an ISP so I accepted
"YES".  Can you help me understand the consequences of my decision?  What is
a "public environment" and what were my alternatives?

Bob