Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 1995 12:08:47 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jackson@cs.odu.edu (Hal Jackson)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeeBSD 2.0.5 (fwd)

Hal Jackson stands accused of saying:

> Can you help with a FreeBSD 2.0.5 printing issue?
>
> I can't figure out why /dev/lp
> is needed by lpr. The device file is not created by installing, nor
> by running /dev/MAKEDEV, nor is it even on the "live filesystem" CD #2
> in the CD package.

/dev/lp is the "default" BSD printer device.  It's often installed as
a symbolic link to the "real" printer device.

> How would one go about using lpr/lp? I have a valid printcap and all;
> lpr -Pcanon produces valid output (my printer name is "canon").

If you want to make the canon the default printer, add "lp" to the
list of names in its printcap entry.

> I tried to see if lpd could use a different device file, but it insists
> on /dev/lp, which doesn't seem to exist.

You're possibly being confused by "lp", the name of the default printer,
and "/dev/lp", the default printer device.

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[