Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 23:00:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org>
Cc:        Douglas Carmichael <dcarmich@Mcs.Net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware RAID-x controllers for FreeBSD?

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997, Jamil J. Weatherbee wrote:

> I think adaptec have some that just look like a 2940, I saw one for about
> $800.

  I don't know about that.  I believe those controllers do look like
a 2940, but the RAID functionality requires software support.  So
basically, the looks AND acts like a 2940.

  The DPT SmartRaid IV works well.  The driver is not incorporated into
the base distribution, but you can get it for 2.2-stable and
freebsd-current.  I also like this card, because unlike the Mylex cards,
additional channels can be added later via a daughtercard.

Tom