Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2002 23:40:19 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Tim Robbins <tim@robbins.dropbear.id.au>
Cc:        <FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: bin/35201: link and unlink are not SUSv2-compliant as the manpage states

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Tim Robbins wrote:

> The manual pages for link and unlink, which are 'part of' ln and rm,
> and share the same manual pages, claim that these utilities are SUSV2
> compliant. This is not the case.
>
> >From The Single UNIX Specification, Version 2, XBD, Utility Argument Syntax:
> Guideline 10:
> "The argument -- should be accepted as a delimiter indicating the end of
> options. Any following arguments should be treated as operands, even if they

Can you quote POSIX.1-2001?  It is more authoritative, and almost as
easy to find.

> link and unlink, therefore, should accept the "--" delimiter.

The fix for this part should use getopt(3) instead of yet more home
made arg parsing.  getopt(3) gives special semantics "--" automagically.
I think they are the same as specified in the guidelines.  Otherwise,
many other utilities would have this bug.

Bruce