Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:38:45 -0700
From:      David Johnson <david@usermode.org>
To:        kde-freebsd@kde.org
Cc:        Dwayne MacKinnon <dmk@ncf.ca>, freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [kde-freebsd] hal-0.5.11.r2_4 does not play nice with /usr/sbin/moused

On Friday 28 March 2008, Dwayne MacKinnon wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> After upgrading to hal-0.5.11.r2_4 (which was committed as part of the
> recent Gnome upgrade) my xwindows experience started behaving very oddly.
> If I clicked a titlebar to move a window, it would shutter. I would type in
> a konsole (I use KDE 3.5.8) and the type wouldn't appear until I moved the
> mouse.
>
> With some googling, I found some people having problems with HAL
> hotplugging and xorg. I found myself wondering if the problem might be
> HAL's interaction with xorg and my mouse. Through experimentation I found
> that if I killed the moused, and then started x, the problem vanished.

I've had two days of a nearly unusable desktop. I stumbled onto a possible
hint in the http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html FAQ, and am seeing
if stopping HAL from probing my mouse. So far it seems to work. Turning off
moused may be a better fix.

p.s. Can someone copy this FAQ over into the KDE documentation? KDE users
should not have to rummage through GNOME docs to find this sort of common
information regarding freedesktop.org standards.

--
David Johnson