Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:37:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Subject:   Re: Change in crypto policy in France

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Brett Glass wrote:

> You mean, "spy on"...

Yes, exactly.  They argue, of course, terrorism and drug
trafficking as reasons for doing so (with a warrant).

I don't disagree with you at all philosophically, and I
certainly welcome your corrections and elaboration on the
facts.  I was trying to communicate the two sides of the
issue.

> And also to tap all of our phones. The EFF, in a monumental misstep
> for which they still should not be forgiven, allowed a bill that
> facilitates this to be passed.

> They've gotten out of SOME committees, but have been killed
> by legislators who are beholden to the FBI. (Perhaps the FBI
> knows about their exramarital affairs? ;-)

Or whatever.  Perhaps the 900 FBI files that were found in the
White House are useful in similar ways.

We seem to be losing this battle with both the legislative and
executive branches, and on both sides of the aisle.  The
corporations also tend to go along with regulation (key
recovery and other regulation) to get permission to export.

Annelise