Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2007 16:27:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD mail forwarder and SPF

Hello all,

I secure my outbound e-mail with SPF.  One of the ports maintainers
(garga@freebsd.org) also secures his INBOUND e-mail with SPF.

I tried to e-mail garga about a minor doc-bug, and got a bounce, since his
mailserver didn't recognize mx2.freebsd.org as a valid MX for
danm@prime.gushi.org

http://www.openspf.org/Why?id=danm%40prime.gushi.org&ip=69.147.83.53&receiver=parati.mdbrasil.com.br

My solution to the problem was a workaround (screw being nice, open a
send-pr).  However, the fact that this person is protecting his inbox in
the same way as I am presents a problem: he's listed as a contact for
these ports, and isn't reachable via it (but ironically WOULD be if I had
no spf record).

In the mean, I recognize that FreeBSD is a volunteer organization, but can
there be some kind of either:

a) policy requirement that people configure allow rules for the freeBSD
mx?

or

b) modification to the forwarder so it re-sends instead of forwarding?
I'd offer to help but my postfix foo isn't what it needs to be.
As technical types, coders, porters, etc, I feel we're beyond the level of
"end user" for whom this would be "too complicated".

-Dan Mahoney

--

"Check it out, it's just like Christmas.  Except it sucks."

-Jason Seguerra, 3/2/05