Date:      Fri, 6 Mar 2015 15:39:27 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   License compatibility issues?

After a discussion on another list, I'm wondering if anyone has ever done
anything to verify that the license requirements of the dependencies of a
package (I don't know of any licenses that would cause problems for a port,
as those don't involve distribution of derived works in the form of a
binary) are actually met? For instance, a port licensed under the EPL that
is statically linked with a GPL'ed library would produce a binary that
couldn't be legally distributed.

Searching google didn't turn much up, but I do notice that bsd.license.txt
doesn't worry about the license requirements of dependencies. Since it is
run at build time, this isn't a problem, as the license issues we deal with
will turn up when the dependencies are built. But incompatible licenses
don't seem to be dealt with at all.

Maybe I just need better google search words?