Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 00:13:52 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        George Vagner <kf7nn@mutsgo.kf7nn.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dns

George Vagner wrote:

> my provider suggested that i install my own dns, i have never
> installed this before so i want to ask what is the package i need to install
> and what files do i need to configure to get it working?

	If you are going to be doing DNS in a professional environment
(especially one that is directly connected to the internet) RUN, do not
walk to the nearest bookstore, amazon.com or whatever suits your fancy
and get a copy of "DNS and BIND, Second Edition." The ISBN is
1-56592-236-0. That is THE book on DNS and you will refer to it often.
:)

	As for setting up the server, FreeBSD 2.2.6 or -Stable will make an
excellent platform for you. You will want to upgrade to and learn BIND
8.1.2 (-Stable comes with BIND 4.9.7 for now). The book covers BIND
4.9.x, however BIND 8 comes with very good html documentation.

	Finally, you will want to consider hiring someone at least to do the
initial setup if this all gets to be too much for you. DNS is something
that is VERY easy to get wrong, and small errors will haunt you for
hours or days. If you can't find anyone in your local area I am
available for very reasonable rates. :) You might also consider posting
to freebsd-jobs@freebsd.org if you're interested in other alternatives.

Good luck,

Doug
--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud designer and maintainer of the world's largest Internet