Date:      30 Dec 2002 01:39:09 +0000
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        Rusty Nejdl <rnejdl@ringofsaturn.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: nmbd core dumps

On Mon, 2002-12-30 at 01:32, Rusty Nejdl wrote:
> Ok, I'm completely stuck with this one.  I am trying to get Samba
> running on my FreeBSD 4.7 - Release computer.  Everytime I try to run
> any version of nmbd, it core dumps.  The config doesn't matter.  Now,
> of note is the fact that I did get Sambda running properly on this
> computer when I first installed it, but in the process of building the
> computer (installing more packages, configuring, and rebuilding a
> kernel) samba broke.
>
> So, in knowing that, I used another computer to try to cause samba to
> break in the same way and I can't do it.  I installed all the same
> ports and rebuilt the kernel and nmbd still ran.  The only big
> difference was that I didn't get all of the processes configured and
> running.
>
> Here's /var/log/log.nmbd using a debug level of 3:
> [2002/12/29 19:26:45, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:main(794)
>   Netbios nameserver version 2.2.6pre2 started.
>   Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1994-2002
> [2002/12/29 19:26:45, 3] param/loadparm.c:init_globals(1261)
>   Initialising global parameters
> [2002/12/29 19:26:45, 3] param/params.c:pm_process(577)
>   params.c:pm_process() - Processing configuration file
> "/usr/local/etc/smb.conf"

<Huge snip>

> I recompiled libc.so.4 as a result of the above error and tried again.
>  No change. However, since I'm installing samba from a package, it
> shouldn't matter.  In addition, I have tried compiling from source
> different versions of samba and they all fail the same way.
>
> I haven't found this posted anywhere else so I'm completely stumped.
> Any ideas or help would be appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
> Rusty Nejdl

Hi,
  Out of curiosity, is there a reason why you're not running the latest
version of samba? Or has 2.2.7_b already failed before this one?

If the other box still has nmbd up and running fine, then I'd suggest
you load more and more services (that are on the failing box) until nmbd
cores.

I'm no hacker, hence my avoidance of the core dump file :-)

Regards,

Stacey

Stacey Roberts
B.Sc (HONS) Computer Science