Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 03:52:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Richard Shea" <rshea@my-deja.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rc.firewall vs hosts.allow ?

Richard Shea writes:
> Hi - I have a FreeBSD machine which acts as a firewall and to which I now want to allow a limited amount of ftp access. The firewall rules at the moment stop any incoming FTP. In the future I want users from a small set of known domains to be able to get on and leave files. BTW FWIW this would not be anonymous ftp.
>
> I thought about adding rules to rc.firewall to specifically allow incoming ftp from those domains but then I thought about letting through all incoming ftp and using hosts.allow to deny access to all but the 'good' domains.
>
> Is this just a question of taste or are there some issues here I haven't noticed ? Is there a 'right' way - maybe totally different from those I've mentioned.

hosts.allow is the config file for the tcp wrappers package;
rc.firewall is a config script for the kernel ip filtering
facility. Both are tools one can use to build a firewall. ipfw seems
to be the prefered method to use these days, but don't quote me.

I'd say not to use both, but choose one or the other. That's because
having all the security information in one place makes it that much
less likely that you'll make a mistake because you don't have the
information in the other place.

	<mike