Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 23:36:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit Adapter

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, John W. DeBoskey wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    Has anyone done any work with the Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit
> network adapter?
>
>    It id's as  Vendor: 0x8086
>                Device: 0x1000
>
>    If so, I'd like to help. If not, any pointers are greatly
> appreciated.

*drool*... Just out of curiosity, what do these things cost?  And can
you get them with singlemode fiber interfaces?  It is currently going
to cost me about $10k for the conversion equipment to connect all of
our buildings at 100Mbit (would need 10 100BTX -> singlemode
converters. I have 5 remote buildings), and if I could just go
directly between two of these cards (in FreeBSD boxes of course) with
singlemode fiber I think I'd be in heaven.

With hefty enough processors in the boxes on both ends, i could
probably route a good chunk of that bandwith.  More than likely not
all of it though (mostly because of the PCI bus, I imagine).  However
I slice it, it would still be better than 100Mbit.

I doubt I could get my work (K12 school district) to help pay for the
development of a driver for this, but maybe if we bought a couple I
could loan them out for a while to someone who would like to write a
driver.  :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
/* FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and compatibles (SPARC and Alpha under development)
   (http://www.freebsd.org)                                         */