Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 11:49:04 -0700
From:      Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se, hfwirth@ping.at, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fun with DOSCMD (was Re: modifying boot mgrs FROM FREEBSD)

Søren Schmidt stands accused of saying :

> > 	2) To truely allow full access to the VGA, we'd need to support things
> > 	like the "x modes" (in appropriately named, Mode X was the original
> > 	application of non-planar 256 color modes in VGA, see Dr. Dobbs, #178
> > 	Jul, 1991, p. 133. Interestingly enough, on page 32 there is one of the
> > 	installments on the original 386BSD port. (This one talks about the
> > 	bootstrap loader) you will need to allow the DOS app to set and read
> > 	all of the VGA's registers.
>
> Now it gets tricky, there is no way in h... that we are going to emulate
> all the regs etc in the VGA hw, its simply to complex and non std.

Yes, my feelings exactly -- and allowing access to the real hardware is insane.

> > 	3) Assuming that you do allow that, how does the syscons handle
> > 	switching away from video modes that are nonstandard, or possibly what
> > 	it thinks is  standard mode, but is not, if the dos app crashes or is
> > 	killed?
>
> As long as the modes "just" use std VGA regs etc syscons has no problem
> with that. But if you go beyond that all hell is going to break loose.

Syscons has support for switching away-from/into the graphics modes? Last time
I played with this (in VGA_320x200) syscons wouln't allow me to switch vtys.
  This was 2.2.1-R, so maybe I'm missing new code :)

> >   Basically, your answer becomes that of Linux's svgalib : You don't. You
> > reboot your machine. Sorry, I don't accept that.
> >
> >   You are asking more out of the syscons module than it can give you.
>
> Well, when/if we get the ability to run realmode from the kernel, we
> can call the BIOS on the card. That way we can utilize the (hopefully)
> onboard VESA layer. That will give what we need (and what I need for
> syscons). Its then possible to either do a full VESA support, or
> mimic some SVGA chipset for the basic functions.
>
> Give me the means to run realmode code from within the kernel, and I'll
> teach syscons how to use it :)

  Hehe. I am working on it, however, you won't get realmode, just something
similar -- a v86 thread with the mappings of real mode. It should be close
enough :)
  (Currently, I am waiting on a motherboard that is held up in shipping due to
a UPS strike -- once I get that motherboard, I'll finally have the crash box I
need)

--
Jonathan Mini (j_mini@efn.org)

... bleakness ... desolation ... plastic forks ...