Date:      Fri, 10 May 2002 11:27:12 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@highperformance.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: YA fortune

Jason C. Wells said on May  9, 2002 at 21:52:19:

> I never even considered that there would be a problem.  FreeBSD upgrades
> all sorts of stuff all the time and its nevera problem.

Well, true for the base system.  Most people also need ports, and
those can be a problem.  The one that bit me, and many other people,
was libpng 1.0->1.2 which affected just about every graphical
program/desktop environment.  The ugly part was that the libpng
upgrade was sneaked in, without warning, by some other port which
required it, and that broke all the existing ports.

In principle that sort of thing could happen anywhere in the ports
tree.  Nothing one can do about it, except avoid installing new
packages from the "fresh" ports tree and stick to the "releases", or
else be prepared to rebuild everything (portupgrade makes that easier
but it's still very time-consuming).

As for linux -- it's the same problem, but well, that's what distros
are for, no?  If Bill Paul wrote that in 1996, it was probably
justified, but today it's not.